The Government of Gujarat has developed a policy for providing assistance to Startups/ Innovation. Under this scheme, any individual/ group of individuals having innovative idea/ Concept will be eligible and/ or Universities/ education institutions, Incubation Centre/ PSUs/ R&D Institutions/ Private and other establishments will be eligible as an institution to support and mentor to innovators as approved by Committee. Startups in an economy's technology sectors is an important indicator of technological performance for several reasons.
Under this scheme Gujarat Knowledge Society (GKS) has recognised "Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Technology (SVIT), Vasad" as a Nodal Agency for implementation of SSIP and SVIT-Vasad has received financial support of Rs. 5 lakh (Rupees five lakh only) for this academic year.
The initial period of the Student Startup & Innovation Policy shall be from the year 2017 to 2021
KEY OBJECTIVES OF SSIP
The Student Startup & Innovation Policy of the Government of Gujarat aims to create an integrated, state-wide, university-based innovation ecosystem to support innovations and ideas of young students and provide a conducive environment for optimum harnessing of their creative pursuit.
1) Developing student centric Innovation and Preincubation Ecosystem for Students (IPIES)
2) Creating environment for creativity to flourish and an end-to-end support system in educational institutions to allow ample support to ideas for better execution
3) Build internal capacity of educational institutions and key components of the innovation ecosystem to enable deployed processes to make sustainable impact at scale
4) Create pathways for mind to market by harnessing and handholding projects/ research/ innovation/ ideas of students in Gujarat
5) Creating and facilitating sectoral and regional innovation efforts in state around educational institutions
6) Create a common platform to showcase, support and upscale innovations for motivating stakeholders as well as for an opportunity to create value for money and value for many
7) Leverage public system initiatives at state and central level, academia, industries and by other ecosystem stakeholders / domain experts and institutions to make an inclusive effort
KEY GOALS OF SSIP
1) Empower all universities to set-up and execute the broad agenda of innovation and preincubation
2) Aim to create an environment that converts at least 1% graduates into job creators by innovation and allied means
3) Support at least 1,000 student-led innovations per year and aim to file 1000 patents from universities in the state every year
4) Harness 500 student startups in the next 5 years, and upscale
5) Empower universities and educational institutes to build a robust Innovation and Preincubation support systems within
6) Create incentives, awards, appreciations and benchmarks for innovation and student startups and associated efforts at all layers
7) Build capacity for at least 200 educational institutes in the state in the next five years, to have a robust preincubation support for student / alumni startups and innovations
8) Undertake strategic interventions to empower all universities in the state to develop full-fledged preincubation ecosystem in the next 5 years
9) Ensure that the innovation processes link academia, society and SMEs through systematic ways so that students and faculty solve their challenges and create further entrepreneurial opportunities
BRIEF OF ACTIVITIES DONE BY SSIP CELL, SVIT-VASAD
SVIT, Vasad is actively involved in SSIP activities. SSIP cell have conducted various awareness programmes in the institute and also organized a few workshops in collaboration with GISC Baroda related to Patent Drafting and Awareness under the banner of SSIP. The SSIP cell, SVIT-Vasad is established in Ground Floor, MCA Wing, Near to Dean R & D Office.
As on date total 17 PoC/Prototyping projects are sanctioned for the SSIP grant.Also 2 webinars are arranged under the banner of SSIP Cell.